Instructions using the Dresden Plate
Studio™ Dresden Plates-Pointed (50002) Directions:
Cut Dresden Plates:
- Choose 4 assorted coordinating fabric colors for each plate. You will need 20 blades per plate.
- Cut 8—6” x 10-1/2” rectangles.
- Note: With the Studio Dresden Plates-Pointed die (50002), you will be able to cut 40 blades (2 complete Dresden Plates) in one pass through the cutter by placing 8 layers of the assorted 6” x 10-1/2” rectangles on the blades on the die.
- Using the Studio Die, Dresden Plates-Pointed (50002), place 8 layers of fabric on die, and cut 40 assorted color blades.
Cut Center Circle:
· Cut 1—4” x 4” square. Using the Studio Die, Circle-3-1/2”(50643 or 50025), lay square over circle and cut 1—3-1/2” circle for the center.
- Sew 2 plate blades together using a ¼” seam allowance, matching notches for a total of 10 pairs.
- Sew 5 pairs together for one side and 5 pairs together for the other.
- Sew two sides together. Press to one side.
- Cut: Background 13-1/2” square (cut larger for desired finished block size)
- Position pieced unit on background. Pin, fuse or baste in place. Machine applique around the perimeter to secure.
- Finish the raw edge, including the blade points, with desired decorative stitch.
- Position, fuse and machine applique one 3-1/2” circle in center of block unit to complete the Dresden Plate block.
- Optional: Square up the block to the desired size leaving at least a ¼-inch seam allowance.